Zespri® SunGold Chilli Dip with Prawn Pancakes
Ingredients for Pancakes
- 150 g plain flour
- ½ level teaspoon baking powder
- ½ level teaspoon salt
- ½ level teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 eggs
- 120 ml water
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 50 g (about 5 stalks) chives, cut into 3 cm lengths
- 50 g (1/2 small carrot), finely shredded
- 150 g (shelled weight) prawns, cut into 1 cm pieces
- A little oil for shallow pan-frying
Ingredients for Chilli Dip
- 3 large fresh red chillies, with seeds removed
- 2 Zespri SunGold Kiwi fruit (200 g), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp (20 g) sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
Developed exclusively for Zespri by popular Malaysian chef Rohani Jelani
Place flour, baking powder, salt and chilli powder into a medium-size mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and crack in the eggs. Add water and mix well to make a thick batter. Stir in the garlic, chives, carrot and prawns. Mix well.
Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Drop tablespoons of the batter on the hot pan and cook 3 – 4 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove from pan. Repeat with remaining batter.
To make chilli dip, place sliced chillies, SunGold kiwifruit, lime juice, sugar and salt in a small electric chopper/blender. Whizz finely and transfer into a small bowl. Serve alongside the hot pancakes.