Zespri Kiwifruit Korma Curry
- 2 Zespri Green Kiwifruit, peeled and pureed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 kg rump steak, cubed
- 1 x 375g jar or pouch Korma Indian Simmer Sauce*
Yoghurt Accompaniment Ingredients
- 1 Zespri Green Kiwifruit, peeled and finely cubed
- ½ cup natural yoghurt
- ¼ cup finely cubed cucumber
To Serve Ingredients
- 1 cup basmati rice
- ¼ cup cashew nuts
- Chervil to garnish
* Home Made Korma Simmer Sauce Ingredients (if not using store brought jar or pouch)
- 2 medium white onions, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon flaked almonds
- ¼ cup cashew nuts
- 3 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- ½ cup hot water
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1 – 1½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- ¾ tsp Garam Masala**
- 1½ tsp tumeric
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ⅓ cup oil
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tsp brown vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 x 2.5 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 x 2.5 cm red chilli, halved and seeds removed
** Garam Masala is available in the spice section of all major supermarkets.
Heat half the oil in a heavy based saucepan or wok.
Brown half of the steak. Remove and repeat the process.
Return all to the hot pan and add Zespri Green Kiwifruit puree.
Increase heat and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring all the time.
Add Korma Indian Simmer Sauce*, stir and reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes or until meat is cooked. Do not over cook.
In the meantime, prepare above Accompaniment. Combine the three ingredients.
In the meantime cook rice and drain. Serve immediately with the accompaniments in separate bowls.
* Available at large supermarkets, to prepare your own Simmer Sauce see below recipe.
Directions for Home Made Korma Simmer Sauce (if not using store brought jar or pouch)
Combine first four ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook, covered until the onion is soft. Remove cloves and bay leaf and set aside to infuse.
Combine the next four ingredients and set aside.
Combine all the remaining ingredients and add to small saucepan.
Add the soaked nuts and coconut.
Return to a low heat and cook for 8 – 10 minutes, stirring all the time. Remove and allow to cool.
Pour into a blender and puree until smooth.
Cover and refrigerate (or deep freeze until required).
Note: This recipe can be made 1 to 2 days before use.