Eye Fillet of Beef with Quinoa Salad
By Chef Peter Blakeway
- 6 eye fillet steaks (150-220gm each)
- 2 Zespri Green Kiwifruit, peeled and crushed
- 300ml beef stock
- 150ml dry sherry or madeira
- salt and pepper
- avocado oil for frying and greasing
- 1 red capsicum, chopped roughly
- 1 yellow capsicum, chopped roughly
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped roughly
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup spinach, chopped roughly
- 2 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit, skinned and sliced
- 150g haloumi cheese, grilled until golden brown
Ingredients for dressing
- ½ tbsp smooth Dijon mustard
- 50ml red wine vinegar
- 50ml balsamic vinegar
- 100ml hazelnut oil
- 100ml avocado oil*
- 100ml olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 turns white pepper
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
6 servings, ⏲ 1½ hours
Allow steaks to come to room temperature, marinading in crushed Green kiwifruit for 10 minutes.
Heat a clean frying pan dry until very hot. Flatten steak slightly with heel of hand and season. Cook over a high heat for 3 minutes on each side for rare and 4 minutes for medium. Transfer to a warm plate, cover and keep warm.
Pour beef stock and sherry or Madeira into pan to de-glaze, quickly reducing liquid to a syrupy consistency. Add remaining butter, a small piece at a time, swirling pan until incorporated to finish the texture of the sauce and give a beautiful gloss.
Roast chopped vegetables (except spinach), garlic and olive oil in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Meanwhile, wash quinoa with cold water in a sieve and squeeze dry in a clean tea towel.
Place quinoa in a pan, place over a medium heat and fry until lightly toasted. Cover with boiling water or stock and simmer gently until all the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove vegetables from oven and add to quinoa with spinach and seasoning. Add dressing and mix well. Place in a bowl with grilled haloumi on top as a garnish and serve with your cooked eye fillets and sauce.
Place all the ingredients into a blender and blitz for 60 seconds. Strain through a fine sieve.
*Can use canola oil as an alternative to avocado oil. Freeze meat for 3 hours to make it easier to slice.